6/25/13

Interview with Jami Davenport


Julie's Book Review would like to introduce Jami Davenport. Welcome to the site. We are all excited to meet and learn more about you.

Let's start with Can you tell us a little about yourself? 

I’ve been writing since I was old enough to know the alphabet. I finished my first book when I was 5 or 6 about a horse named Wildfire and illustrated it myself. I guess I’ve always had the writing bug. I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. I’d never live anywhere else.
I write sexy romantic comedy, sports hero romances, and equestrian fiction from my small farm on the Olympic Peninsula. I share the farm with my husband, a former Green Beret turned plumber, a Newfoundland cross with a tennis ball fetish and an obsessed barker, a prince disguised as an orange tabby cat, and an opinionated Hanoverian mare. I work in IT for my day job, and I’m a former high school business teacher. An avid boater, I’ve  spent countless hours in the San Juan Islands, the setting for Forward Passes. The Islands are, in my opinion, the most beautiful place on earth.

What genre's do you write? if more than one do you have a favorite? 

Under the Jami pen name and another pen name, I’ve written historicals, menages, and erotic romance. My heart belongs to sports romance, and two years ago I decided to focus on that fast-growing genre. I’ve never looked back.

What can we expect from your books?Action, sex, adventure, romance? 

 I try to provide the reader with genuine characters with real, complex problems who have deep-seated reasons for why they do what they do. I am first and foremost a character writer. When I’m writing, I become those characters. Yes, you can expect hot sex, fun times, and I also unconsciously find myself dealing with one serious issue in each book: homelessness, teenage cancer, family angst - lots of family angst.

Do you have a favorite book or character of yours that is a favorite? Why? 

My gut says Fourth and Goal because Derek and Rachel have been in my head the longest, yet I find that each new couple becomes my favorite.  

Can you tell us anything on your newest release? 

 That would be Down by Contact. After twelve years in the league, all Zach Murphy wants is a Super Bowl ring. Not exactly Mr. Manners, he’s more about hard hits than soft smiles, but after committing one too many social blunders, his tenure with the team looks perilously short. Kelsie Carrington-Richmond's Finishing School for Real Men has a real shot, and the Seattle Lumberjacks have hired her to polish their roughest player. Except…it’s Zach. Long ago she broke his heart. Yet, getting knocked down happens, getting back up makes a contender. And they both have the hearts of champions.

Are you working on anything new? When will it be out and can you give us any details....hints? 

Oh, yeah, tons. Right now, I’m writing Backfield in Motion, the running back Bruiser’s story. After that comes Time of Possession, the backup quarterback’s story, and then I revisit the hero and heroine of Forward Passes in a novella as they work through Tyler’s aversion to weddings, especially his own.

What kind of advice would you give new authors or people who are trying to get published?  

Self-publishing is like a siren song to many unpublished writers. Please take the time to consider if it is for you. I suggest finding a very good digital press with good editing and support staff first. If you can’t sell to them perhaps you need to go back and learn your craft. Don’t self-publish just because you can. Done right, self-publishing is very expensive. You need to hire a crew of support staff, content and copy editors, formatter, cover artist, etc. As far as traditional publishing, get beyond the romantic notion of “I want to see my book on the bookshelf in a bookstore” and research whether or not that is the right step in your publishing career. Listen to other’s opinions, but don’t let them be your sole influence.

Lets find out a little more ....How about some FUN stuff!!

Favorite place to travel? 

Washington State’s San Juan Islands. I would live there if I could.

Favorite foods? 

BBQ potato chips, hands down. Also Hogue Late Harvest White Riesling.

Favorite past time? 

 Up until 2 years ago, I would have said showing my horse in dressage. A couple things happened at the same time, my show horse could no longer be ridden because of soundness issues, and I wanted to dedicate my spare time to writing. I haven’t been on a horse in about 1.5 years, which is a first since I’d been riding for about 30 years. Most of my spare time is spent writing and the rest is spent socializing.

Book (not yours but one you can recommend) 

As far as recently read books, I’d have to pick Any Given Christmas by Candis Terry.

Author (one you can recommend) 

Cassandra Carr

Any pets? 

Ty, a Newfoundland/Flatcoated Retriever cross, Jenna, a Bernese Mtn. Dog/Australian Shepherd cross, Khat, a stray orange tabby cat who moved into our house and took over, relegating us to servant status, and a 17-1 hand Hanoverian mare who thinks she’s just one of the girls.

Finally is there any special places we can find you and your books (Links please):


It has been a please visiting with you. JBR wishes you great success and hopefully you will be back here again with more reviews of your future books.

Julie Ramsey
ADM JBR

4 comments:

  1. Great post and interview, Jami. It's always good to hear from fellow authors and see what they think, what they're working on and just getting to know them better. Your WIP's sound awesome! Thanks for hosting us all too, Julie.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)