9/5/14

Elizabeth Burgess and Marie Hewes

Author Interview

Tell us about yourself

I’m Elizabeth…one-half of Elizabeth Burgess and Marie Hewes. I live in Northeast Louisiana with my partner and our four-legged children. I went to school to be a nurse, but my passion has always been writing.

Newest release?

The Waiting: Book One of The Waiting Series



What can we expect from your stories? Action, drama, romance, sex, blood, guts?

All of the above…and more! These books are full of surprises, twist, and turns. You shouldn’t get bored.

Do you have a favorite character in your stories? Who? Why?

Yes. Millie Douglas, the main female antagonist for The Waiting. I love her tenacity and attitude. She’s bold and fearless, yet there’s a vulnerability that makes her relatable. Millie has a story that needs to be told.

Interesting facts about the series.

Several characters came to me in a dream, fully-formed with names and personalities. Marie chose the name Millicent for Millie because she knew my favorite Disney villain was Maleficent. We chose New Orleans as our setting because both of us were born and raised in Louisiana, and love everything about this state… except the humidity.

Other authors who inspire your work?

Actually, since this is my first book and I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, I had three books that I ‘referenced’ for sentence structure and style during the first draft of The Waiting. Greg Iles’ Turning Angel, Charlaine Harris’ Dead After Dark, and Stephenie Meyer’s Eclipse. I’m not sure how it ended up being those particular books, but since all three of those authors have thriving careers, I couldn’t go wrong.

What can readers who enjoy your book do to help make it successful?

Like our FB page. Follow on twitter. Buy the book, then write an honest review.

Any tips for readers or other writers trying to get published?

The best thing we did was hire an editor. Kathy Lapeyre is so much more than just someone who reads our story and puts semicolons in their proper place. I firmly believe she made this story “presentable” to the public.

Do you have a favorite author?

Kate Chopin influenced me in high school, and continues to inspire me today. She was audacious and forward in her thinking, and wasn’t afraid to step on toes. The Awakening is one of the most progressive and brilliant books of its time. I can only hope people think that about The Waiting.

Can you remember one of the first things you wrote? What makes it memorable?

Thanks to a Jr. High English teacher, I’ve written poetry since age thirteen. One of my very first poems was called “I Detest Wearing a Dress,” which is strange now, because all I wear are dresses and skirts.

Where do you gather your most inspiration for your work?

Music is a HUGE influence. I also believe I’m a better writer because I read. I don’t think we can grow in our craft unless we are willing to learn from others. I’m not a big fan of Stephen King’s genre (I’m a fraidy cat), but I can’t deny that he is an amazing wordsmith. So when he writes a not-so-scary book like Under the Dome, I’m there. Now that we are so far into the story, the characters inspire me. I love getting inside their heads.

Interesting hobbies, pets, or stories?

Photography is a big interest of mine. I love doing just about anything creative. We rescue animals. Our latest being a blind pit bull puppy who was found in the middle of the road.

Favorite places to travel or visit?

We love exploring anywhere in the south, but especially Louisiana.

Snippet from the book:
Chapter 25—Millie and Bob

By the time Bob arrived home, Millie had been there for several hours setting up what she had hoped would be a memorable afternoon for them both. She expected him to be irate after his meeting with Andrew, but nothing prepared her for the glare in his eyes as he opened the front door. She’d seen this look once before, when she was innocent and unassuming. And weak. Inside she shuddered, wishing to be a child again playing with Jamie’s new Cur puppies in the backyard of their Oxford, Mississippi home. Other than the .38 in her purse, rising to meet him was her only defense, and while putting a bullet in his belly and watching him bleed out was number two on her fantasies list, she still needed his influence and power.
Gathering her thoughts, Millie transformed into the character who had governed Bob O’Malley for nearly forty years. Mistress. It was a dark, dark world. Darker than what it should have been, or even what was normal for sadomasochistic relationships. If it had been with any other man, she would’ve played by the rules, and maybe she even would have enjoyed this sexual fetish. But it was Bob, and survival merited that she be in complete and total control. Of herself. Of him. Uncrossing her legs, she stood, calming and slowing her breathing. Edging in his direction, she was pleased as she noticed his expression soften. Millie was glad she’d worn the black cat suit. She thought it was ridiculous, but it turned him on. And by the way his hand moved toward the zipper on his jeans, it might have saved her ass.
The Waiting - Book One
© The Waiting Series by Elizabeth Burgess and Marie Hewes

AMAZON BOOK LINK TO THE WAITING:

Twitter: @liddyburgess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)