4/15/14

Dennis Timothy

Welcome to JBR.  Today we have Dennis Timothy with us.

First why don't you tell us about yourself:.

I live in the sleepy little village of Dodge, Nebraska, located in the northeast portion of the state. I am employed at a specialty foods factory. I haven’t been able to quit my day job yet - but, hope to some day.  In addition to writing, I enjoy photography, gardening, and the antics of a very demanding rat terrier named Colby.

Newest Release?

My newest release is a collection of paranormal short stories collected under the title One Heartbeat Past Normal. Each story involves ordinary people who become challenged by extraordinary events. And, each story ends with a unique twist. It has trolls, and faeries, things that go bump in the night, evil antiques, and talking tattoos. So, there is enough content there that everyone should find something to enjoy.

What can we expect from your stories, action, drama, romance, sex, blood and guts?

My first book, Merry Hell, is a humorous, family drama about the Timmons’ family, and their friends, who gather for a Christmas dinner.  All bets are off when the snowstorm of the century traps them at the Timmons’ rural home. Angie Timmons, the strong matriarch of the family, struggles to hold it together as one daughter has life changing news, then the power goes out, and then another daughter goes missing in the storm. This story is full of relatable characters who bring their own quirks to the holiday table. One reviewer compared this work to John Grisham’s Skipping Christmas. And while it does have a holiday theme, it’s a great read anytime of the year.

My next release will be a historical adventure story full of drama, action, a little romance, a generous amount of humor, and some real blood and guts moments.  It involves a young, timid monk named Brother O’Frell who is tasked with leaving Ireland and journeying to Alexandria, Egypt.  The story is set in the seventh century, and follows a naïve O’Frell as the world reveals it’s challenges to his trip.  He is joined by an ex-Legionnaire named Cannon; Cannon’s best friend Loren MacRye; and MacRye’s beautiful daughter, Gentry.  Wild animals, highway robbers, slavers, and the murderous Claudius Scrotus are all intent on ending the journey suddenly. The work is entitled The Whiskey Scrolls, and should appeal to young adult and adult readers alike.  It is a very unique coming of age story, and has been compared to Follett’s Pillars of the Earth.

My current book, One Heartbeat Past Normal, has an interesting background. While the majority of the stories are made of whole cloth, two of them “The Brothers” and “Hunting a Haunt” are based on actual events. The story “The Pulse” came from a dream I had one night. And “The Discovery in the Woods” was based on a story my father made up and told me when I was a child.

Do you have a favorite author? If yes, what draws you to that person’s work?

I currently don’t have a favorite author; and I read everything with the exception of Romance. Growing up, two of my favorite authors were Robert Heinlein and Lester Dent, who wrote under the name Kenneth Robeson.  I found their stories to be imaginative and thrilling.

Have there been any other authors who have inspired your work or helped you out with your stories?

Three years ago, I had the chance to meet with Alex Kava. Alex is a member of The Nebraska Writers Guild, and was attending the Spring Conference as a speaker.  After lunch, she and I, and five others retired to a sitting area and just visited. We talked about gardening, dogs, the weather in Nebraska, and how much we hate edits.

Favorite places to travel or visit?

I don’t necessarily need a change of scenery to write, but I have found that I am more productive if I do. I take writing vacations.  Most of One Heartbeat Past Normal was written while I stayed at a cabin in Mahoney State Park. Merry Hell was outlined when I was staying at Estes Park, Colorado.

Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?

I wish I had some advice for other Indie authors that would guarantee them success, but I don’t. It takes time to build a fan base and promote sales. I view myself as a ten-year, overnight success. I would counsel a person to just keep writing and trying.  I also think that using services to professionally format your work, edit your story, and produce a pleasing book cover is vital to 
success.

What can readers who enjoy your book do to help make it successful?

If people read my work and enjoy it, I would ask that they spread the word, “like” my Facebook Author Page, blog about me, and buy lots of copies of my books for Christmas, Anniversary, and Birthday presents.

Where can we find your work?
One Heartbeat Past Normal can be found on Amazon,  Goodreads, or Barnes & Noble.


Thanks for coming and visiting with us. Hope to see you again here on Julies Book Review.
Julie Ramsey & Theresa Needham Fehse 

And the Review team




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)