12/18/14

Mari Hamill part 3


First why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself.

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. My love of fantasy began with my father reading The 
Wizard of Oz series to me as a child. He would translate the words in Spanish to me and I 
would read them on the page in English. After I graduated high school, I went to Harvard to 
study literature and that has been my passion and my vocation ever since. 

Newest release?

Werewolf Nights came out on May 19, 2014. It’s a paranormal novel. 

What can we expect from your stories, action, drama, romance, sex, blood and guts?

You can expect a lot of action, tantalizing romance, several adventure-filled stories about 
werewolf hunting, mild but passionate sexual content, a teenage love story intertwined with the 
present one, cliffhangers at the end of every chapter and frightening encounters with a 
werewolf.

Do you have a favorite character in your stories? Who? and why?

That’s a tough one. I tend to enjoy writing the villains more, so I would have to say Wolfern. 
Wolfern is a centenarian werewolf who lost his beloved bride and unable to accept his loss, he 
roams the full moon nights looking for her. Whenever he sees a young woman, he confuses her 
with his lost love, but once he realizes he’s got the wrong prey, his disappointment compels him 
to devour her.
I like him because he shows the weaker and tyrannical side of human nature. He’s a reckless 
and self-serving werewolf.  

Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book series:

Salem inspired me to create Wereville, the setting of the story and a town that claims to have 
been founded by werewolves. As part of the research for my doctoral dissertation, I read many 
literary accounts and explanations for the witchcraft trials that took place between 1692 and 
1693. 
I wanted to create a town of people divided by its supernatural beliefs. In Wereville, some claim 
to come from a long line of werewolf hunters, while others claim werewolf ancestry. If asked 
whether they believe in werewolves, the inhabitants of this peculiar town might deny it, but 
during a full moon many of them are likely to have a silver sword accessible, the weapon that 
defeats the werewolf.

Has there been any other authors who have inspired your work or helped you out with your 
stories?

Paolo Coelho has deeply moved me for his mastery of spiritual insight and his personal struggle 
to become a writer. Initially, his parents opposed his writing career and committed him to a 
mental institution to cure him of his ideas. His father was an engineer and his parents thought 
that he would be better off with a more practical profession. In the end, all turned out well, and 
he forgave his parents.
He states, “"It wasn't that they wanted to hurt me, but they didn't know what to do... They did not 
do that to destroy me, they did that to save me."
Werewolf Nights touches upon the opposing beliefs that drive people to judge and condemn the 
supposed insanity of others. But the most important part of portraying these disagreements is 
writing the reconciliation that must happen for people and communities to move forward. 

What can readers who enjoy your book do to help make it successful?

I encourage readers who enjoy Werewolf Nights to tell their friends, write a review or tweet 
about it. 

Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?

With the phenomena of Amazon and social media, readers have now access to a vast library of 
books. We are no longer only exposed to the books that our teachers give us or that we find in a 
bookstore or supermarket. I advise readers to read blogs, sign up for twitter and start a dialogue 
with authors whose work might appeal to them.

To  authors I would say keep telling your stories. If you find meaning in them, someone else 
might too. And since this era allows us to connect daily with readers all over the world, I would 
say make the best of your cyber experience.

Do you have a favorite author? If yes, what draws you to that person’s work?

My favorite authors vary, but The Princess Bride is my favorite fairy tale. I’ve read the book, 
seen the movie many times and read the script. William Goldman does a wonderful job of 
creating characters driven by different goals: love, money, power, revenge, justice, friendship. It 
reminded me of The Wizard of OZ where the main characters seek a heart, a brain, courage or 
a ticket home. In such adventure books, readers can pick different characters with whom to 
identify.

In Werewolf Nights Catherine, the protagonist, seeks love and courage; Greg needs love and a 
sense of belonging; Steve craves adventure and a real encounter with a werewolf; Valdimir 
struggles for standing and prestige; Wolfern demands a love that can no longer happen, thus 
breeding the violence of fantasy clashing against reality.

Can you remember one of the first things you wrote? What makes it memorable?

My eighth grade teacher requested a poem for us about the Virgin Mary-I went to a Catholic 
school-for a contest. I took the challenge and as I sat down to write, I realized that I had enough 
inspiration to write three poems. Thanks to that teacher for the first time in my life I thought 
about writing as an enjoyable process.

Where do you gather most of the inspiration for your work?

Unexpected situations that arise in everyday life and the varied people I meet spark my 
creativity. I also like to read books in all genres. 

Do you have any other interesting hobbies, pets or stories you would like to share?

I lead a pretty simple life. Walking and good conversation top the list of the things I love the 
most. Dancing and swimming in the Atlantic trail the first two.

Favorite places to travel or visit?

Lately, writing has kept me from traveling or going out much, but when I travel to other countries 
I like to immerse myself in the culture and get to know the people who live there.

 And now, before you go, how about a snippet from your book that is meant to intrigue and 
tantalize us:( Include links to where we can find your work)

Thank you Julie! I enjoyed the interview.

You can read a free sample and purchase the novel  at the official website 

http://werewolfnightsbook.com/
Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Werewolf-Nights-Mari-Hamill/dp/1457525747/
Barnes & Noble link http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/book/1119631278
Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22436841-werewolf-nights
itunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/werewolf-nights/id899227195

"Listen to a radio interview with host Kevin Hale about Werewolf Nights and other paranormal happenings."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)