4/20/13

Review of Killing Me Softly With Your Love by Dan Anderson‏

Killing Me Softly
 
This is a murder mystery centered around PI Chauncey McFadden who finds himself hired to investigate by two separate people to investigate two murders that have a startling connection.  He finds himself at opposite ends of society looking into strip clubs and former Judges and gets involved with government departments he didn't even know existed!

This book has proved quite difficult to review.  It is well written, it has a good, well thought out plot line that comes to a satisfactory conclusion with no loose ends and the culprit is one that I didn't work out mid way through the book.  Which by and large are the best things you can hope for in this type of book.  Now for the problems.  The entire book is set in 1980, now I am not against books not set in the current time line but I really failed to see what was gained or lost by it - there weren't even any references to the cool music I remember from my youth only bad fashion I would rather forget!  Secondly there was an awful lot of superfluous language, yes long word I know but that sums up the book,now I know that Chauncey plays a game with the owner of the news stand to use long words but the book was littered with them and I even had to look a few up. Now this is not blowing my own trumpet but I like to think that I am reasonably well educated and having worked in the insurance industry for over 20 years thought I was used to excessive prose but to be honest it threw me. Finally the was a very odd attempt at humour.  When I first started reading the book I really wasn't sure if it was attempting to be a comedy (and if it was it failed) but I finally decided that it wasn't however that made the occasional comedy moments even more bizarre, if you read it and meet the butler you will see what I mean ... This book will never be one that you can breeze through in a couple of hours but if you like to take your time on a book it could be worth it.

If you can cope with the extravagant language then I would rate this at 4 of of 5 stars

Petra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)