6/19/15

Review of Temporary Saints by Mark Warhus

Temporary Saints
Mark Warhus

One of the benefits of reviewing for JBR is to come across something I would never read, but
once I do I’m glad I did. “Temporary Saints” is one of those books. I am not religious; I am a
Taoist knowledgeable about Christianity.
First and foremost “Temporary Saints” is very well ­written with an extraordinary plot. The author
knows of what he speaks and has created ordinary people living through some not ­so ­ordinary
circumstances. Familiarity with “The Lives of the Saints” was helpful in getting what the author ‘s
book structure was all about but it’s not necessary to understand what’s going on. The sane and
the crazed are alive and well in this novel.
Sarah is the temporary saint. She is found one night levitating in a Catholic parish church by the
housekeeper and pastor. Saying she was sent by God to deliver a message prompts the pastor
to call the archbishop. The archbishop brings in Michael a gay psychotherapist to evavluate
Sarah’s state of mind and health.
Thus begins the well ­told tale. Throw in some miracles, the power of the media, the struggles of
a divorced couple with a teenage son and a gay father, along with controversy between
conservative and liberal­ minded Christians about the place of homosexuals in organized religion
and you have a brew of laughter and hatred that will make the judgmental person squirm.
The book is spot on in its depiction of reactions to the clash between Christian liberals and
conservatives and the challenge of being a saint in a secular society. If you suspend disbelief
long enough for this excellent quick read you’ll be glad you did. I am.

Bill S
5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)