6/5/15

Review of Stowaway, Curse of the Red Pearl by Tracy Fobes

Stowaway, Curse of the Red Pearl
By
Tracy Fobes


When John Cabot, the Captain of the West Indies Trading Ship Apollyon arrived in Boston after a trading voyage, Kit Cabot, John’s young nephew can’t wait to see him.  Quickly, though, Kit’s enthusiasm turns to concern as it becomes clear that John is suffering from some unknown illness or influence that is quickly devouring him. So serious is John’s illness that a couple of the ship’s senior crew members  talk Kit into stowing away on the Apolly on because they feel Kit is the only person John will listen too.  The result is an opportunity for Kit to go sea thereby foiling his father’s plan to have him operate the family shipping business, but John’s rage and the rage of the entity possessing John is also kindled against Kit. What follows is a desperate tale of frustration and struggle for survival against unnatural forces of great strength.  Actually, the ship’s name, Apollyon, is the perfect name for this particular ship.  The author displayed  great imagination in choosing it. I had not read anything by Tracy Fobes before.  What I found was a story told simply, to the point and with unambiguous language.  There is no doubting the action, the dangers, the mental processes and the building terror throughout the story.   Ms Fobes is a master storyteller.  In approximately one
hundred pages, Ms Fobes managed to lead me through a young man’s first experience as a sailor on
sailing ship, the horror of being isolated on that ship with a strange and unknown force and a debilitated Captain, through the realization that the unknown force is more powerful and more dangerous than believed possible and that fighting should be made a life work.  I actually found myself spellbound; mesmerized by the story unfolding in front of me.
For those addicted to supernatural thrillers, or those want a little stronger kick in the pants, I
recommend “Stowaway, Curse of the Red Pearl”.


 (5 stars)  Clabe Polk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)