10/1/15

Review of Stolen Petals by Katherine McIntyre

Stolen Petals by Katherine McIntyre
 
This is a short novella about a woman, Viola, who owns an upscale bar for elite clientele, while hiding her secret identity as a bounty hunter known as The Brass Violet.
 
Edward Van Clef, known as the Fox, is another bounty hunter who is a thorn in Violet’s side.  He has been known to swoop in and steal Viola’s mark out right out from under her.  When Edward approaches Viola with a partnership to snag a notorious mark, Viola is very distrustful, with good reason.  She reluctantly agrees, since Edward has some information she needs, but she needs to take precautions to ensure that Edward doesn’t double cross her.  It doesn’t help that she is falling for him.  Can she trust her heart, as well as her reputation, or will Edward double cross her…again?
 
This story reads as a historical, but has some modern day references in it as well.  I didn’t go into it knowing that the author wrote it as steampunk, and it didn’t feel like it was.  It was a little confusing at first before I figured it out.  However, it was very well written.  I would have liked to know a little more about Viola’s background, but since it was a very short story, there wasn’t time to tell it.  Edward’s past intrigued me as well, but since it was written from Viola’s point of view, I only got her point of view, so his is still a mystery.  I wonder if she will write more about these characters.
 
I give the story 4 stars.
 
Love-N-Stuff,
 
Donna Flint

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)