1/28/15

Amanda Marie Day 2


1. What do you do when you are not writing?
When I am not writing I can be found spending time with my family or enjoying one of my other pursuits. I spend a lot of time carting my kids to their after school activities and back. My son is involved with basket ball and attends an after school tutoring program. My daughter is in dance, cheerleading, and basket ball. In the summer we like to spend time at the beach. The rest of the year we can be found at parks, movie theaters, bowling allies, or just out enjoying nature. When I do find me time I enjoy reading, crocheting, taking pictures, playing on Photo Shop, and scrap booking. I fancy myself a photographer and can sometimes be found photographing my friends and families children. I am also a pageant mom and as a result spend a great deal of time helping my daughter prepare for pageants, shopping for pageant close, booking pageants, and traveling to and from the events. Occasionally my son also competes, but only when the prizes are really good. I also enjoy baking, crafting, and horseback riding though I rarely get the opportunity to indulge in them. When I am very lucky I get to travel. I love visiting new places especially when they have great history attached to them.

2. Do you have a day job as well?
I have two, technically three day jobs. I am a substitute teacher for my children’s school district and edit for two publishing houses. As a substitute I teach kindergarten through twelfth grade and all subjects. I love the variety and flexibility that subbing provides. As an editor I read manuscripts and determine viability. I also complete content edits and act as a liaison between the authors and the house. This job has many perks but the best one is discovering new authors and great stories. I am blessed to have three fantastic jobs.

3. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
Technically I have been writing since the day I learned how. As a child I wrote poems and letters to family. In college I wrote tons of papers and a few short stories. However, it wasnot until recently that I started writing with the intention of becoming published. The first chapters of Scandalous Endeavors were written almost exactly a year ago. I began working on it in December of 2013. I completed the manuscript in September then spent some time spit shining it before I submitted it for publishing in late October early November.

4. Do you ever experience writer’s block?
Oh my goodness—all the time! When I was writing Scandalous Endeavors I constantly found myself stuck without any ideas. I discovered that having someone to talk to and bounce ideas off of was a great help. For me that someone was my sister Dawn who is also an author. On the rare occasion that talking did not help, I would just write anything no matter how crazy to keep going knowing full well I would be deleting it all. I learned that the best way to get past writers block is to keep writing.

5. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I do a combination of both. With Scandalous Endeavors I planned how many chapters I needed and then wrote a short sentence for each chapter telling me what I wanted to happen in it. I also made character notes. Ultimately I ignored the notes and the story went in its own direction. For my new WIP Once A Lady I decided just to write down my main plot points and some character notes.

6. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
I would love to! Scandalous Endeavors is a historical romance set in Victorian London. The heroine, Amelia, finds herself in want of a husband after her father dies and her American uncle orders her to move to America. Amelia has no intentions of leaving England and devises a plan to trap an English lord in matrimony so that she will not have to. Lord Goldstone is a Scottish duke who finds himself staying at his aunt the Duchess of Abernathy’s home. The duchess has also agreed to act as Amelia’s chaperone for her remaining time in London. Lord Goldstone and Amelia find themselves at odds with one another as she continues to pursue her plans for an English husband and he continues to fumble them.

Here is an excerpt that shows there tactics in action:
Lord Roseington wrapped his arms around her and stood up, setting her on her feet. “Yes, Amelia, everything is okay now.” He reached up and removed her arms from around him, then took a step back. “We must stop winding up in these situations before we cause a scandal. ”She looked at him through hooded eyes. “‘Tis a wonder we haven’t already.” A man cleared his voice behind her. Amelia turned her head, already knowing who had caught them. “Lord Goldstone, you mustn’t trouble yourself with keeping our secret.” “What she means to say is that there is no secret to be kept. Amelia carelessly got close enough to the hearth to catch her skirts ablaze. I could not very well let her burn up.” “No, Roseington, you were obliged to help. I am glad to know that you were not taking advantage of our dear Amelia.” He glanced at her and flashed a rakish smirk. “Indeed, you are a hero. Let us go share the story while Amelia changes her charred gown.”
She tried her hardest to shoot daggers at him from her narrowed glare. His grin only deepened at the attempt, which increased her ire. “Don’t you dare tell a soul. I would most definitely perish from the embarrassment!” Amelia spat the words out with anger and annoyance. How dare he ruin everything for a second time, and then jest about sharing her humiliation. If he were not Scottish, she would trap him instead. That would teach him a lesson. “Do not worry your head over it, Lady Amelia. We will not breathe a word of this little mishap,” Lord Roseington said. “Right, Goldstone?” “Of course not. All of your secrets are safe with me.” He winked. Amelia blushed at what he had implied. “Thank you. Now that it is settled I am going to retire for the evening. Enjoy the rest of the party. Lord Roseington, Lord Goldstone.” She inclined her head to them before spinning on her heels and speeding from the room.

7. How did you come up with the title?
My original title was A Twist Of Fate but the more I wrote the less it seemed to fit. I started to think that maybe I needed a new title. Then one fateful day I ran a search for my working title and discovered that several other books already used my chosen title. Atthat point I knew I needed a different title but had no idea what it should be. I got on the phone with my sister and we started bouncing around idea. The call concluded with a list of potential titles but I liked them all and did not know how to choose just one. After pondering it for a bit I had a brain child and posted them all on my blog. I asked readers to vote on it and picked from the ones that were tied. In the end Scandalous Endeavors seemed to fit the book best.

8. What project are you working on now?
I am currently working on two projects. A Veiled Identity is a compilation with author Dawn Brower and is a contemporary romance. It is about a princess who flees her kingdom to escape an arranged marriage and finds herself working on a ranch in America. I am writing the female POV and Dawn id writing the male POV. My other project is title Once A Lady and is a medieval romance. Princess Isobel leaves her kingdom to search for her missing lady in waiting. Shortly after she sneaks away Sir Ariston discovers her in the woods. He is a freelance knight swearing loyalty to no king or lord though he is currently contracted by Isobel’s father. When she refuses to return to the castle he refuses to let her travel alone. The pair must work together to save the missing lady. While they are busy on their quest Isobel’s castle is over taken and her father poisoned. Among their budding attraction Isobel and Ariston must now save her kingdom. It is planned to be a romantic adventure full of twist.

9. Do you prefer fuzzy or tub socks?
The fuzzier the better in the winter, but tube socks in fall and spring. Once summer makes an appearance I abandon socks altogether.

10. Coke or Pepsi?
Hands down—Pepsi, but it must be cherry Pepsi.

11. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
Thank you! I know how many books and authors there are out there for you to choose from. I am honored that you choose me.

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)