6/29/13

Interview with Jillian Leigh

Jillian Leigh Interview
The Rules of Engagement

Julie's Book Review would like to introduce Jillian Leigh. Welcome to the site. We are all excited to meet and learn more about you.

Let's start with Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Hi, everyone. I’m from Brisbane, in Australia, where I live with my husband, son and assorted pets (see below). In my working life, I’ve been a sales assistant, teacher, librarian and IT manager. When I’m not writing or doing the dreaded housework I enjoy movies, both old and new, music, dancing, sewing and watching TV shows of dubious quality (sometimes my husband just shakes his head and walks away). My celebrity crushes include Hugh Jackman, George Clooney and Tom Hiddleston. I’m barely adequate as a cook, terrible with maps, good at trivia except for questions about sport or body parts.

That is probably more than you wanted to know!

What genre's do you write? if more than one do you have a favorite?

I write historical romance set in the Regency period. That’s my first and only love J.

What can we expect from your books? Action, sex, adventure, romance?

I write the sort of books I love to read—fun, lighthearted, with characters who manage to get themselves into all sorts of trouble and then have to use their charm, wit or creativity to get out of it.

Do you have a favorite book or character of yours that is a favorite? Why?

That is like asking a parent which of their children is their favorite. All my offspring are special. Actually, though, it’s the baby I haven’t given birth to yet which is always my favorite. A story idea, before you’ve written it, is always the most brilliant, of course.

Can you tell us anything on your newest release?

THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT features two of my favorite tropes in romance: friends-to-lovers and the faux engagement.

Are you working on anything new? When will it be out and can you give us any details....hints?

I have several irons in the fire at the moment, but one idea I’m working on is a marriage of convenience story. I love throwing together a hero and heroine who would never choose each other except under the most exceptional—and unusual—circumstances. That’s all I’m going to say!

What kind of advice would you give new authors or people who are trying to get published?

Try to analyze, and then develop whatever makes your writing special. We all have strengths and weaknesses; accentuate what you do well and minimize (or hide) the flaws. Find your own voice, your style, your individuality. Write what you love, not what you think you should write, or what will sell. Listen to constructive criticism that truly is helpful and doesn’t stifle your creativity. Ignore the rest.

Lets find out a little more ....How about some FUN stuff!!

Favorite place to travel?

Some of the best beaches in Australia are an hour’s drive away. But I’ve also been fortunate enough to visit some truly wonderful places, including Thailand and Vanuatu. Favorite place in the world: Paris.

Favorite foods?

Number 1 favorite food: chocolate. Number 2 favorite food: anything with chocolate flavoring. As you can guess, I like chocolate.

Favorite past time?

As you’d expect of a writer, I love reading. I enjoy not only Romance, but also true crime, biographies, nineteenth century literature and historical reference books.

Book (not yours but one you can recommend)

I recommend that any lover of historical romance who hasn’t already done so check out some of Georgette Heyer’s books. She virtually invented the Regency Romance, and some of her books remain my all-time favorites. However—ironically—my absolute favorite isn’t a Regency: Devil’s Cub is set in the 18th century. It has one of the hottest bad-boy rake heroes ever, and an intelligent good-girl heroine. When I think about some of the wonderful scenes in that book, I want to reread it (and I’ve read it many times already).

Author (one you can recommend)

Anyone who enjoys historical romance will have heard of Julia Quinn. She writes funny, charming and emotional Romances with characters that are flawed but lovable. Her books just make you feel good when you read them.

Any pets?

One day I’ll probably be a crazy cat lady, but at the moment I have only two. One is the friendliest, most curious and adorable creature in the world, the other is the most timid feline I’ve ever known. Most of our friends have never even seen her. I also keep and breed fish, including bettas, angelfish and mbuna (a type of freshwater fish from Lake Malawi). I am the mother (well, foster mom, anyway) of many handsome specimens.

Finally is there any special places we can find you and your books (Links please)

Please drop by and say hello. I can be found online at: Website: http://jillianleighauthor.com Publisher: http://www.BoroughsPublishingGroup.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JillianLeighAuthor Twitter: https://twitter.com/JillianLeigh003 Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6527307.Jillian_Leigh


THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT is available at: Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-of-Engagement-ebook/dp/B00CXT6WTO/ Boroughs Publishing Group: http://www.boroughspublishinggroup.com/books/rules-engagement All Romance: https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-therulesofengagement-1214498-160.html Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/318553

It has been a pleasure visiting with you. JBR wishes you great success and hopefully you will be back here again with more reviews of your future books.

Thanks for having me as a guest, Julie!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks once again for having me on the blog. I really enjoyed the questions!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Julie's Book Review

Hello, all my followers, visitors, and guests. Welcome to Julies Book Review. This is a site dedicated to helping authors and readers alike. Readers to find new authors and stories and authors to find new readers. For authors please contact me if you are interested in low cost promotion at juliesbookreview@gmail.com. I accommodate where I can. Readers please go through and search the blog. We have been active here for a while. Hundreds on authors, stories and genres to choose from. We have everything from sci-fi, erotica, romance, contemporary, mystery and horror. And nothing gets on this site without a 3 out 5 star rating minimum. I have several reviewers that read different genres. If you are interested in reviewing for me and the site please contact me at the above email. I hope you enjoy the site. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Julie Ramsey & Theresa Fehse
ADM of JBR
Along with many reviewers (which we could not do this without)